Quote of the Week

Quote of the Week:

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. They listen with the intent to reply.

Stephen R. Covey

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Salute the Short!! Lovin' Mama Earth...


Recently, I was listening to a podcast by Hiro Boga, a business strategist who relies in life on what she calls "energy alchemy". Energy alchemy is essentially recognizing that the power of the Universe lies within, and if we tap into that power, we can conjure amazing things. 

But this post isn't about energy alchemy, at least not directly.  

When Hiro touched on our connection with the earth, it broke something loose inside of me. I've always had a very deep love for nature, and while I am in no way a salt of the earth survivalist, munching on roots and digging pit latrines, I am a rainbow-laced environmentalist. I love to be outside. I love dense forests and steep mountains, bubbling streams and raging squalls. I love to lay in the grass - sans shoes - and soak up the sun. I have an affinity (or, some would say, obsession) with trees. I am absolutely convinced that each and every one of them has a soul. I also think they have gender and sometimes classify whether they are male or female as I drive down the road. 

I be silly that way...


As I listened to Hiro talk about our connection with the cosmos and our planet, I started thinking about relationships. I often think about the cycles of nature and how we, as human beings, factor into them. The biggest contribution we make is something we rarely think about: breath. We breathe in and out and give life to millions of organisms. By default - by simply existing - we enable life on this planet. Yet, these self-same organisms also enable our lives through breath. We have a deeply intimate connection with one another, a relationship where give and take occur without question or demand. It's a beautiful allegory for relationships in general and how easy it is to give without even batting an eye.

A smile.
A hug.
A dollar.
An idea.
A laugh.
A shoulder to cry on.
A slow dance.
A high five.

These things are simple, and often times, reflexive. We give them to others without deep contemplation. It is in these uncalculated, off-the-cuff moments that the true nature of who we are shines. Perhaps it is a quiet and inconspicuous nudge to be more present, and to live by the instinct in our hearts. Clearly, it is in our nature to give (breathe out), just as it is in our nature to receive (breathe in). It is a kinetic reality that bursts with philosophical truth. When we give, someone else will receive, and vice versa. Therefore it is never selfish to take what others have to offer. Rather, it is charitable, for it grants them the privilege of contribution, and most importantly, it allows them to enter into relationship

Truth is all around, present in the simplest things. Look a little closer and you'll see it peeking out at you...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment